Software Engineer CND
POSITION DESCRIPTION – CND Software Engineer
Groton, CT; Norfolk, VA; Charleston, SC; or San Diego, CA
Travel: about 10 days per month (determined by installation and support schedules)
Computer Network Defense (CND) Overview:
The Navy Computer Network Defense (CND) Systems provide network management and monitoring capabilities with the end goal of facilitating Global Information Grid (GIG) Situational Awareness (SA) and Network Operations (NetOps). CND Systems improve baseline information assurance (IA) core infrastructure, enhance automated Indications & Warnings (I&W) and Attack Sensing and Warning (AS&W) capabilities, provide integrated analytical response support tools, and create a framework for improved overall network defense awareness.
Purpose of Position/Major Duties:
The CND Software Engineer reports to the CND ISEA at SPAWAR Systems Center, Charleston, SC and performs the following duties:
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Provide functional and technical expertise supporting CND capabilities on Navy Ships and Submarines.
- Systems include client-server applications, operating in a distributed or standalone environment.
- Provide CASREP support – Ad hoc/emergent situations where ships or shore commands require outside assistance to perform repairs to maintain operational readiness.
- Provide C5RA Support - Planned system assessments directed by the fleet commander to determine a ship's readiness and suitability for operations. C5RAs are routinely conducted during the workup-to-deployment phase of the ship and require Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to assess and evaluate a system.
- Provide DGSIT Support - Integrated testing of the shipboard system with other sensors, systems and processes to ensure a system is performing to a stated operational need.
- Provide INSURV Support - Periodic shipboard inspections for material readiness and operational performance of embarked systems.
- Provide System Grooms - System checkout, assessment and readiness checkout and repair prior to unit deployment or inspections for ships, submarines, and shore Network Operation Centers.
- Perform repairs to systems and peripheral components as specified in the work order.
- Provide TA visits - ISEA response to a request for shipboard assistance or shore assistance. This includes on site assistance in port, at sea or at deployed locations (ports of call) when the ship is operational and deployed.
- Provide SOT Support - Shipboard assessment by system SMEs to determine the state of readiness for operations. This is typically performed in homeport or in the ship's homeport AOR after completion of a system SOVT.
- Load and test the CND system software upon completion of electronics and communications system hardware integration
- CND engineering/integration/sustainment experience.
- Desired capabilities and certifications of technical professional include:
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), or Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- Juniper Service Provider Routing and Switching, Juniper Enterprise Routing and Switching, Juniper Security Certifications, Juniper Operation System (JunOS)
- Microsoft Certification Solutions Associate (MCSA), Microsoft Certification Solutions Developer (MCSD), Microsoft Certification Solutions Expert (MCSE), Microsoft Certification Solutions Master (MCSM), Microsoft Certification Technology Specialist (MCTS), Microsoft Certification Professional Developer (MCPD), Microsoft Certification IT Professional (MCITP), Microsoft Certification Master (MCM), or Microsoft Active Directory (AD)
- Security+, Network+, SANS GIAC Security Essentials Toolkit (GSEC), or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- HBSS Certification
- ACAS Certification
Secret security clearance